Saturday, December 1, 2007

Don't gimme no pop, no pop

Let me start out by saying I really miss the family dog Bailey. I think I miss the dog more than I miss my brother. Bailey is a great dog. One of the first things I will do when I get home is talk him for a sweet walk. I know I was the only one that gave him the exercise he deserved. On a side note I would find myself making conversation with Bailey on said walks, perhaps it's not so bad they ended...

Sooo I wrote a post or so ago about what I would be doing at my job and the other temp that I detest. Well from now on we'll just call her Horrible Helen. That's what she is - horrible. She is a very tall, huge woman with a long blondish ponytail down to her butt that doesn't look like it's ever met a brush. It also has about two inches of grey roots. Her outfits are also destestable: tennis shoes, jeans or black corduroys, and often a yellow shirt with gold sparkly sweater (why not, they match so well). I'm just thanking god that she is laying off the heaps of green eye shadow she choose for our first day.

A few days ago she told me lots and lots (joy!) about a novel she is writing. When she started all she had was an opening line, "We always kept Aunt Bernice in the shed". Sound good to you? Yup me neither, the story follows a big family going to the dentist and back. Many people are dead, but still hanging out and talking. There are lots of cool animals talking too! It was one of those conversations that you keep trying to get out of and Horrible Helen sucks you back in.

There is truly not enough work for us to do. The situation seems to be that they budgeted for us temps, so work or no work, we stay. The crappy thing is I feel really weird about reading a book or anything. The boss lady would be pissed. I spend a lot of time thinking of lists I can make and generally day dreaming.

I did not yet mention that this office I am in, is housed in a NY Mental Health Patient Facility. This means lots of cool things: 1) I get an ID badge to wear that differentiates me from patients (we all look the same I guess).
2) To go between the building and the parking ramp I swipe the badge to enter a tube/portal thing that opens on one side, closes and lets me out the other. Seriously the thing is about 2.5 feet wide some people don't fit.
3) We get security training and they give us an important key. The keys let us out the fire exits which are locked. You see the patients can't get out and we aren't supposed to let them out if there is a fire. I guess they don't want loonys running around free.
4) Over the loud speaker once and a while (record is three times in one day so far!) we hear a "Code Grey". This means some sort of problem is occurring with a patient and security is needed. I always pause for a moment to imagine what could be happening to warrant a "Code Gery". The possibilities are almost endless.
5) We have a deck to sit outside when the weather is nice. THE DECK HAS PRISON BARS! The bars go all the way overhead in a cage like fashion.

I've been educating people at work (and by people I mean my desk buddy Alex and the other guy Peter) on all things Michigan. They now know about:
-Pop, oh the shame of saying it here!
-Pointing to your hand for locational purposes
-the term yooper
-that Flint is no fun
-there is a Troy in Michigan too!

1 comment:

Misty said...

Welcome to the corporate world. I think I spelled that wrong. Anyway, I think that you should run out one day on a code grey and pretend to be one of the loonies. It would be fun and end the boringness I'm sure.

You can never say soda!! You must keep the Michigan tradition alive...