Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Picking up the Pieces

I was gearing up to write a post on Friday afternoon at work, when something truly surprising happened; I got laid off. My boss walked in with my pay check and with it was another envelope. He started to explain that he was really sorry, and work was slow, and checks weren't coming in, and they couldn't afford to keep me. For a couple beats I thought it was a joke and did a head tilt at him, an are-you-for-real look. It wouldn't be the first time he jokingly fired someone. But after those beats I could tell that it wasn't a joke, he was serious and he looked like he might cry.

So now I'm part of the sad statistics of the US of A. I felt really sad and angry about it for a couple days. I wish I had some warning. He told me they were turned down for a loan so things must have been bad for a while and I didn't know about it. I hate thinking the guys knew all week and still talked to me as if things were normal. But it didn't matter much as I packed up my few belongings (and the good pens) and took off.

Now comes the hassle of figuring out unemployment, figuring out if I'm starting school in the fall, and figuring out what to do with myself. Mostly right now I'm in a waiting pattern. I'm really thankful that I don't have a mortgage or a car payment, things could be a lot worse I guess.


Other than that the Bachelor was nuts last night. I knew most of what happened in advance since I spend a lot of time on the internet and the show was leaked all over the place. I think Jason made a mistake and he did his best to correct it. Like him, I thought Molly was better anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She was also from Michigan...must be a good person. :) I liked her better for him too and they truly seemed happy together in the after the rose shows.

Really sorry to hear about your job - will let you know if I hear of any openings from friends or family in NY!

Meg said...

P.S. This might not be the most opportune time to ask, but would you or Bri have any interest in going to a Dave Matthews concert at SPAC this summer? I'm coming home for his show on June 6th.

Anonymous said...

Oops, totally meant June 13th, not the 6th.